START’s work contributes to building and enhancing capacities for advancing knowledge on global environmental change in Africa and Asia-Pacific. We accomplish this through activities that include research grants and fellowships, curricula development, advanced training institutes, multi-stakeholder dialogues, knowledge assessment and synthesis, and place-based strategic planning that build relevant capacities of both individuals and institutions for advancing education and research.
Through its capacity building activities, START:
- creates opportunities for research and training for scientists, resource managers and development professionals,
- brings scientists and policymakers together to enhance understanding of climate change risks among decision makers,
- promotes collaborative regional research in Africa, Asia, and the Pacific,
- fosters regional data and information platforms for informing policy, and
- mobilizes resources to support capacity building.