START International, Inc. in Washington DC (USA) is seeking a communications specialist to implement strategic and consistent messaging and branding across all START products as well as work on the 2017 25th Anniversary activities. Job description is below, or available as a PDF download.
START’s central mission is to increase opportunities for research, education and training that strengthen scientific capacities in developing countries to understand, communicate and motivate action on critical global change challenges. START achieves its mission through promoting ‘research-driven capacity building’, an approach that emphasizes experiential learning by doing, particularly by early-career scientists, in which targeted skill building and networking opportunities are infused within the research experience. START’s portfolio of programs and activities include research grants and fellowships, knowledge assessments and syntheses, advanced training institutes and workshops, curricula development, multi-stakeholder dialogues and learning forums, and regionally based strategic actions that advance global change education and research.
Skills and Experience
START is looking to hire a seasoned communications specialist to work on an hourly basis to implement our communications strategic plan. This position will manage all internal and external communications efforts, ensuring a singular message and voice for all products. Specifically, this position will:
- Manage the content, display, and functionality of the START International, Inc. website and work with an external website consultant to update the site.
- Maintain the organization’s social media presence
- Develop new and improve current communications materials, incorporating products such as the electronic newsletter and an online magazine
- In collaboration with program staff, develop and write content for all publications
- Develop fundraising communication messages
- Work with an external communications consultant to develop and pitch stories to various media outlets
- Oversee all communications related to START’s 25th Anniversary including a retrospective publication
- Maintain active relationships with relevant media contacts
- Manage START’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM); currently a Neon database by Z2 Systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, or related area
- Minimum 4-6 years of experience
- Experience with event planning, communications, and fundraising/marketing preferred
- Ability to work independently, across cultures and within a small team
- Flexibility in schedule and work environments with the expectation that they will be available for video conference on a regular basis
- Experience in science communication to various stakeholders, including a general understanding of global environmental change and the sustainability community where this organization is situated.
Questions about this position and responsibilities related to the communication specialist position may be directed to Margaret Chapman, Director of Finance and Administration at START (email@example.com).
To apply, please send a one-page statement of interest, a resume, three samples of communication products you’ve produced and contacts of at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received no later than 24 August 2016.