The APEC Climate Center (www.apcc21.org) was established with the endorsement of APEC Senior Officials in 2005. Its mandate is to provide climate information services to the 21 APEC member economies in order to promote human security and protect life and property from the hazards associated with extreme climate events. Since its establishment, APCC has steadily gained momentum in becoming a leading provider of various climate forecast products and capacity building programs in the region. Currently, APCC is expanding its areas of research and services to cater to wider socio-economic needs and interests.
The APEC Climate Center (APCC), located in Busan, Korea, is looking for motivated researchers for the positions described below:
POSTING I. Climate Risk Management and Disaster Risk Reduction
– Application of seasonal forecasting and regional climate change projections in the assessment of climate change vulnerability and risk
– Management and systematic reduction of climate-induced hazards and disasters (such as costal inundation, typhoon, flooding, etc)
– Climate-sensitive interactions between economic, environmental and social systems within the context of decision-making procedures
– International collaboration and policy development on climate risk reduction and management
POSTING II. Subseasonal to Seasonal (S2S) Prediction and Analysis for Climate Services
– Evaluation of prediction skill, predictability of models at S2S time scales and its understanding
– Development of subseasonal forecasting methods
– Climate impact assessment on various application sectors (water, agriculture, energy, public health, etc) at S2S time scales
– Experience with model evaluation and prediction/predictability analysis is preferred
POSTING III. Statistical Climatology (Downscaling)
– Improvement of statistical downscaling techniques of global climate prediction data including seasonal forecast and climate change scenario
– In depth analysis and understanding of the downscaled data for applications in various sectors (water, agriculture, energy, public health, etc)
– Applicants should have a Ph.D. in relevant fields
– At least 2 years of experience in a relevant field is preferred
Benefits include the partial coverage of health and other insurance (in accordance with Korean law), support for relocation to Busan, severance pay, performance-based incentives, and more.
Submit the ①APCC application form (Attachment 1) with a ②Cover Letter, ③Curriculum Vitae, ④degree certificates, ⑤transcripts, ⑥three letters of recommendation1) and ⑦Agreement to collect and use personal information (Attachment 2) to email@example.com by 24:00 KST, 9 March 2017.
1) The three letters of recommendation should be signed and dated letters that outline your suitability for the position and must be sent directly by your referees via email. A list of references will not be accepted.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org