APEC Climate Center (APCC) located in Busan, South Korea, aims at realizing the APEC vision of regional prosperity by providing climate information services and technical support for better sectoral planning and reduction of economic losses due to adverse climatic conditions. APCC produces real-time operational climate prediction information based on a well-validated multimodel ensemble system with contributions from over 17 institutes in the APEC region. APCC contributes to enhancing capacity-building in the prediction and monitoring of weather and climate in the Asia-Pacific region by making available high-cost climate data and information. Countries without the capacity to produce climate predictions are able to access optimized, high-cost global climate predictions produced by APCC. Please visit the APCC website for further information about APCC at http://www.apcc21.org.
APCC is seeking qualified young scientists as short-term visiting scientists from National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) and research institutes in developing countries.
APCC will give the opportunity to conduct research at APCC providing APCC’s data, equipment and support from APCC scientists and staff. The young scientists are expected to conduct research on the following themes and to facilitate exchange between their home institution and APCC.
APCC is accepting proposals on the following themes:
• Climate prediction and monitoring of intraseasonal time scales
• Climate change and impact assessments
• Climate informatics and applications to sectors (i.e. hydrology, agriculture, emergency preparedness, etc.)
Location: APEC Climate Center, Busan, Korea
Period of Appointment: Up to three months starting in January and ending in September 2013 (It can be extended depending on the research topic.)
Financial Support: Round-trip airfare and salary (net salary is 2,500,000 KRW per month and accommodation and per diem are included in the salary)
- Age: Under 40 years old
- Degree: Master’s degree in Atmospheric Science, Meteorology, Statistics, Earth Sciences, or other related majors
- Language: Good oral and written communication skills in English
Duties and Responsibilities
- To conduct research which is approved by APCC as a full-time staff member
- To submit a final report before completing your research at APCC
Documents to be submitted via e-mail
- Recommendation letter from a supervisor
- Cover letter with a brief description of professional experience and interests
- Detailed research plan including needed data from APCC for research
- Application form (use the attached form)
- Curriculum vitae with list of publications/scientific outreach work
Due Date: 12 October 2012
- Successful candidates will be given notice by 30 days after the due date.
For more information and to download the application form, please visit: http://www.apcc21.org/eng/notice/nae/japcc0501_viw.jsp